Thursday, April 14, 2011

Install, Honeywell, Thermostats

the Danube, by Claudio Magris


a long-years-had the Danube in the head. When Anagrama published it in 1988, and I heard of this title, though not always in the same direction: for some it was a gem, others a brick. At the time it ojeƩ and not tempted me too. But a few weeks ago I recommend him again, and I decided to go. Now that I'm done I fully understand that very disparate range of views, from the undisputed jewel more infumable block. A unique book, THE DANUBE. A long text, like a river, sometimes fast flowing and colorful, bright, energetic ... and other slow, slow, dull or dense.

on the Danube, Claudio Magris the Italian Germanic tells a trip along the whole river, more than 2800 kilometers from its sources in the German town of Donaueschingen (or is Furtwangen?) In Forest Black, to its mouth in the Romanian town of Sulina, on the Black Sea. Wherever he goes the river goes shelled Magris more or less detail, not always well-depth history, events and people associated with the place. And, in turn, will reflect the character and genius Central, sometimes Prussian other result of the Austrian Empire, others of Slavic, Magyar and Balkan.

The great strength of the Danube is, in my view, the richness and variety of what she told us: There are some very wise about travel considerations and the fact of traveling, and brings to mind spectacular sites, destinations those who go or destinations that you know (I have enjoyed, for example, recalling my visit to the monastery of Melk, or the Cafe Hawelka and Karl-Marx-Hof: Part of Vienna can be a great alternative guide to tour the city). Makes many reflections on life itself that are very suggestive, very attractive descriptions of places, story telling, legends and very enjoyable event, presentation of characters (the world of literature, politics, science) really varied and interesting . It is, without doubt, very illustrative of the culture and life of central and eastern Europe, a Europe with a rich history alive, by the way, has changed since he published his Magris Danube in 1986.

The problem is not always maintain that level of success, suggestion, attractive, amenity and interest. Surely this is a personal problem, but the text is so cultivated -although nothing pedantic, I must say, that sometimes quote, comment and itemizes over issues and personalities very central and East-European, unknown to the reader (I insist, at least for me): I must admit that I have traveled very comfortable in Germany, Austria and Slovakia, but it cost me to travel Magris the hand of the political culture and the Yugoslav, Romanian and Bulgarian, or the otherwise, I lost a chance to go into this land, unknown to me. As the book is long, it fails to get you the everything is true that it reads well, it is true that it is entertaining, even when the reader knows who or what he is talking because he is not familiar with the names or events, it is true that, as the text is divided into chapters short, it is easy to stop if you saturate ... but it is, let alone a book of those who are willing to have a free moment to read more, or you can spend a ratazo followed.

Returning to what I said earlier, I believe the Danube is a jewel more than a brick, because it's really interesting and enriching. I really liked and I'm glad I read it, but I understand that some to be a suckling pig. Can not think of reading as one reads DANUBE a soap opera: a travel book to be placed on the shelf most of the tests in the stories, and I say this now that I've finished but I have not done so, perhaps it should be read slowly, without haste, even without strict continuity: I think that is one of those books, I have found few, reasonably compatible with others.

I Magris a comment that caught my attention: Budapest. I note in my list of places remaining. "Budapest is the most beautiful city on the Danube, a wise self-staging, as in Vienna, but with a strong substance and vitality unknown in the Austrian rival. Budapest gives the physical sensation of capital, with a manor and a city authority protagonist of the story ... "

0 comments:

Post a Comment